Sunday, June 27, 2010

Update on Life

Hey Folks,

Things have been hectic (not exactly in a positive way), but this sudden maelstrom has brought about order from chaos, and as I piece things back together, I'm slowly gaining more control and understand about things around me. One thing, specifically:

I am going to save over $1,000 a year just by cancelling my cable. "How?" You ask. Here's how:

My case for leaving traditional Television: Cost of cable $100/mo Cost of iTunes TV show Season Pass: $30-$40/30 min or $40-$60/hr (Standard Def - HD). Cost of cable over average TV Season: $800-$1,000. Equal to 26-33 Half Hour & 20-25 Hour TV Shows. Considering I usually only TiVO/watch about 10 shows, (rough estimate of 6 half hour and 4 hour) I save $460-$660 a year (not incl. 2 mos outside normal TV season). On top of monetary savings, also gain mobility (Laptop, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) as well as ownership of the TV Season (no need to purchase DVD after, i.e. savings now doubled). Not even including saving $13/mo on TiVo, which adds $104-$130 a season to savings. All-in-all, saving $790-$1,016 a year (not including a savings of $410 not purchasing DVDs of iTunes-purchased shows). I think the numbers speak for themselves. Sorry, Time Warner. Oh, and saving $25 a mo cancelling my Home Phone I never use. That's another $300/yr.

No comments: