Friday, July 3, 2009

As Promised...

Like I said, here are some more things from my trip to Second City.

First up is a freeform monologue that I wrote on my first day of class:

So, we’ve just begun our fanciful journey from Austin into the heart of the mega-beast, the big city, Chicago. So far, our journey north has been met with fun, adventure, boredom, food poisoning of some kind, cute boys, Oklahomans, what I’ve been told are cute girls, long and winding roads, uninteresting pastures and a general hatred towards public transportation. Upon arriving to Chicago, my two largest fears were quickly taken into account by our surroundings. My first fear, especially coming up from TEXAS through OKLAHOMA and “mizzourrah” was that my being of the… well, pinker persuasion, may create some hostilities and roadblocks as it did on my trip to New Mexico (which culminated in many “Get back in the car, we’re leaving NOW” gas station stops in West Texas).
However, upon arriving in Chicago, I discovered IMMEDIATELY that not only is our hotel in a very gay-friendly district of Chicago, but that PRIDE is also happening this very weekend. So, one problem covered. The second, and the most confusing considering my previous point, is the “Southern issue”. Being from the South, and Texas especially, people in the North like to imagine that I’ll ride up to them on some sort of four-legged steed, tip a hat of some kind and offer to help them “wrassle up some grub”. However, being raised in one of the largest cities in the country, Houston, watching BBC and PBS for most of my life and then attending university in a very non-Texas city like Austin has awarded me the benefits of a proper education and a very slim-to-none accent. Just a few of the comments so far have been that I and my friend, Kyle, sound much more “level” and “understated” and that we are not at all fitting to the stereotypes of “redneck morons” or “effing crazy”. I can only hope that this good will only continues…

* * *


The following is a dialog prompt. We were given the first three lines and then we had to go on from there:

A) Syncronized?
B) Yes!
A) Let’s get ‘em!
B) Woah, wait.
A) WHAT?!
B) We established that our watches are synched, but I still have no idea what we’re doing.
A) Jesus Christ, Paul, did you not get the email?
B) It just said to show up at the Bank of America on Clark with a duffel bag and a ski mask.
A) You can be really dense sometimes, Paul.

More to come, including a sneak-peek of another sketch or two.

No comments: