Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Clown Bigot

Film Class Prompt was to write a 2-3 page scene in which a man confesses, to his family, to a crime for which he has been professing his innocence. Enjoy.

INT. COURT MEETING ROOM - DAY
ROGER BROOKE sits in a wooden chair on one side of a courthouse meeting room table. He is dressed in his finest suit, his hair combed neatly. He is staring at the table, his fingers drumming lightly on it. The door opens and he looks up suddenly to see his wife and son walk into the room behind the lawyer, SIMON
SCHUSTER.

SIMON
I’ll just leave you all to talk.

ROGER
No, Simon, I’d like you to stay. This isn’t going to be easy and you may need to fill in some blanks.

SIMON
Of course, Mr. BROOKE.

MRS. BROOKE
ROGER, what’s going on? This is already too much for your son and I to take, let alone him having to see you like this.

ROGER
I’m sorry Mary, and I’m especially sorry to you kiddo, but this is important.

LITTLE BROOKE
(solemnly)
It’s ok, dad...

ROGER looks disturbed by his son for a moment, his eyes begin to water a bit, then he chokes them back.

ROGER
You know I did this for you, right kiddo?

MRS. BROOKE
Did this?! What are you saying, ROGER?! You–you–you said...

ROGER
I know what I said, Mary, but the prosecution has too strong of a case.

MRS. BROOKE
So, you’re just giving up? You’re going to let them convince those people–

SIMON
Maybe I should–

ROGER
There IS no convincing, Mary, I did it.

MRS. BROOKE
Oh... my... God, ROGER.

MRS. BROOKE grabs the boy, holding him close and trying to cover his ears.

ROGER
No, Mary, he needs to hear this, he needs to know that I did it for him.

MRS. BROOKE
You can’t be serious, ROGER.

SIMON
Maybe we should–

ROGER
Kiddo, I know you hate clowns. I do too, with their evil smiles and laughs and pranks. They’re an abomination to the earth and when we went to that carnival, I wasn’t going to let that demon hurt you.

MRS. BROOKE
Oh God, ROGER, what are you saying?!

ROGER takes on a very serene expression as he continues.

ROGER
Mary, I couldn’t let that–that–that MONSTER hurt our Jimmy. Not then, not ever. And I couldn’t leave him free to hurt any other kids.

MRS. BROOKE
ROGER, no...

SIMON
Maybe he should–

ROGER
If he hadn’t tried to warp our child’s mind with that balloon sorcery of his... I know what they do, Mary.

LITTLE BROOKE
Daddy... was the clown going to hurt you?

ROGER now takes on a more friendly smile and appearance.

ROGER
Of course he was, kiddo, he’s a bloodthirsty savage. They all are... but don’t worry, ‘cause daddy took care of the mean old nasty demon.

MRS. BROOKE
You mean you–

ROGER
Yes, Mary. I saw him taking a cigarette break– the bastard– behind the circus tent. So, it was that moment that I–

MRS. BROOKE
Oh God, ROGER.

ROGER
Inflated his eyeballs with his own helium tank.

SIMON
I think that’s enough, Mr. BROOKE. Let’s give your wife time to think over this development.

ROGER
Right, of course.

ROGER gets up and is lead out of the room by SIMON. He calls back.

ROGER
I love you, Mary, even if your father was a dirty mime.

No comments: