Sunday, May 23, 2010

California Dreamin' (Part III)

Hey Folks,

So today was a pretty slow day. I woke up pretty early and just watched some TV, then I decided to get up and read my little "welcome to your apartment" packet. In it, I found out some pretty interesting things, like how to do laundry, where the nearest shops are, oh, and that I have asbestos in my ceiling.



For those of you unfamiliar with asbestos, according to the little "welcome" packet: "asbestos is a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer." That's right. And it's in my ceiling. It also tells me that if I accidentally start knocking stuff off the ceiling that I need to tell them. The problem is, while moving in yesterday, I was putting stuff away in the built-in cupboard and brushed a bunch of the ceiling off with some pillows I was shoving into the top shelf. So, I walk over to the office to inform them of my imminent demise and see if it's possible for me to get a discount on my room if I'm to die partway through my stay. The guy at the front desk tells me that I should be fine as long as I don't poke actual holes into my ceiling or... and get this... I don't eat any of the little chips from the ceiling. As if I, a grown ass adult, would go "What are these, paint chips? Well, don't mind if I just try one for a little snack. Oooh, it tastes like cancer. Delicious." Who does he think I am, Ralph Wiggum?



Anyway, so, I spent the rest of the day sort of wandering around the complex, enjoying the weather in Los Angeles (warm, but with a gentle breeze, as opposed to Austin's stale with a gentle microwave). Then, I wasted away the rest of the day watching Mean Girls on TBS, Facebook stalking people, and trying to force myself to write an overdue script. All-in-all, could have been more productive, but it's the summer, so screw me.

That's pretty much all for today, it was slow and relatively boring, and sadly tomorrow will be as well. I don't actually start doing stuff until Monday when I meet with the personal trainer to find out how sexy I'll become and then go on a few studio tours. However, I'll leave you with this passing point of interest:

Yesterday, as I exited the freeway to get to my apartment, I passed a Junior Achievement center. What this is is a group that basically gets professionals and connects them with kids in schools to teach them about the business world as a way of preparing them. Sort of reversing the "take your child to work" system, and bringing work to the kids. However, what was odd about this Junior Achievement center was that it was located in an isolated area off the freeway, on its own side street, away from everything else except: a mortuary and cemetery. That's right, this center that's supposed to help inspire children to great heights in their futures is, literally, surrounded by death. What a great motivator. "Alright, Billy, you wanna succeed in life or do you wanna end up like one of them?! Dead?! No, no apple juice! Juice is for closers!"



Well, goodnight folks, hope you enjoyed your Saturday.

le grĂ¡,
Cody

No comments: