Friday, May 28, 2010

California Dreamin' (Part IV)

Hey Folks,

So, sorry for the delay in posting. The first few days it was due to lack of adventure and excitement, then it got busy. Well, I'm finally settling in, starting to get to know people, and it's becoming a little bearable out here. I had a day of weakness where I felt bored and tired of this whole LA game, but I'm giving it another shot.

On that day, I worked and attended a panel of television and web television executives and writers who basically had one consensus: "Don't bother getting into TV. You'll work your ass off for nothing and then the medium will die anyway." So, that was a lovely way to start off my time trying to get into TV in LA. Though I understand, and partially agree, with where they're coming from, my plans don't exactly take me down that same route, so I'm trying to keep my spirits alive.

Speaking of spirits alive, the one really awesome and amazing thing that I've been able to be a part of is the Magic Castle out here in LA.



The Magic Castle is a dinner and show club for magicians and their associates to go out and have some drinks, enjoy the company of other magicians, and see a few shows that rotate in and out of the club. I recently became a Magician Member of the Castle, due to my work in magic when I was younger. Last night, I went with my friend Samantha and, after enjoying a lovely meal, she and I went to the main showroom and got to see a childhood favorite of mine, Lamb Chop, with her creator's daughter, Mallory Lewis. It was a funny show, very vaudevillian in style with jokes intertwined with musical numbers, and I was impressed by her abilities. She wasn't as good at looking like she wasn't talking as her mother was, but she had much more variety to her act, being able to have both of them talk at the same time, singing, etc. It was great fun, and a real treat to see Lamb Chop live.



One of the acts along with Lamb Chop was a British card magician who was amazing. He was quick, witty, and brilliant with his act. One of the greatest card acts I'd ever seen. He, single-handedly, got me back into card magic, and so I've added that to my list of "To Do" while in LA this summer, now making the list:

1. Get in shape
2. Start painting again (I need a relaxing hobby)
3. Finish out my Netflix instant watch (it's gotten huge)
4. Write a novel (well, this is more for by the end of the year)
5. Narrow-down career options (easier said than done)
6. Relearn magic and become better at it (if only to impress people at bars)

So, this is already looking like an exciting summer ahead. I only hope I actually stick to all (or most) of this and don't wuss out like I sometimes do. I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, Labor Day weekend's coming up. I hear some people are going to the beach, I might tag along. What are you going to be doing?

le grĂ¡,
Cody

No comments: